It is basic, common knowledge that breathing in mold is not great for us. Living in a moldy home or working in an office or location that is infested can take a toll on even the best of us. The question is, why? What is it about mold growth that makes it so hazardous to our health? This week, we hope to provide you with a little bit of insight into what makes mold a dangerous in-home infestation.
First, it is important to address the fact that mold related illness is often not as serious as the media makes it seem. Yes, there are real health problems that are associated with mold growth and there are other illnesses that can be exacerbated by its presence, but the extreme danger that has been hyped up is not quite the truth. That being said, mold is still something that you should be concerned about, though it may not be as pressing as you previously thought.
So what makes mold so bad? Well, some types of mold emit substances called mycotoxins. Mycotoxins are most famously known for being the substance that was used to create the world’s first antibiotic, penicillin. Now, most antibiotics are made of mycotoxins, or made of materials that mimic the properties of mycotoxins. What is fascinating about the antibiotics industry is that other than fighting bacteria, we are not exactly sure what these mycotoxins actually do to our bodies.
Combine these substances that we are not exactly sure of the effects of with the other indoor air pollutants that we have and you can create a serious situation, especially for those of us who suffer from allergies or asthma. Homes one hundred years ago were built much differently than modern day homes. The dwellings that we find ourselves in today have become too airtight in our attempt to be energy efficient. While mold has always been around since the days of the dinosaurs, mold getting trapped and making a home in our homes is a more recent phenomenon. With technology allowing us to control the temperature of our homes, we need to seal the openings that would allow for the outdoors to come in as well. This keeps moisture and other materials in our home, creating air that is tough for us to breathe.
The proven health risks are again, not as severe as you might believe due to the media, but they are still something that you should be concerned about. Asthma, rashes, allergies, and even in extreme cases, cancer, have all been attributed to mold in one way or another. This makes mold unwanted and in some instances dangerous.
If you suspect that you have a mold problem, you should call a mold inspector right away. A certified mold inspector can come in and not only tell you that you have mold but can also tell you what the cause of this mold is – meaning where there is an excess of moisture in your home. Having mold in your home is inevitable, but keeping this unwanted pest can do you more harm than good. Learn where the mold is coming from and how you can get rid of it to improve your quality of life.