Mold Facts that We Bet You Didn’t Know – Advanced Mold Diagnostics

Sure, you are familiar with mold. You have probably seen it a time or two growing on some old leftovers in your fridge or on an old loaf of bread. Mold is everywhere, in our homes, food, medications, and more. But even though you are familiar with mold, I bet that you do not know much more than the basics about it. This week, we want to provide you with a few obscure facts about mold that might further your knowledge about these creepy substance that is such a huge part of our lives.

Moldy Bread

1)     Taking Vitamin D Supplements Can Help Fight Mold Allergies

Vitamin D, which is best synthesized by humans from exposure to sunlight, has been shown in studies to be an effective therapeutic agent to treat mold allergies. Aspergillus fumigatus is one of the most common fungal organisms inhaled by people. This is a very common mold type and it often likes to set up shop in places like your bedroom pillows. These studies relating to Vitamin D were conducted using this mold type and turned up impressive results. Not only did the vitamin prevent the proteins that cause a reaction to the mold from being produced, but it also helps the body build up immunity to it.

2)     Dead Mold Spores are Just as Harmful as Live Ones

Many people believe that as long as mold is dead, that you have nothing to worry about. This is false.  Regardless if the mold spores are alive (viable) or dead (non-viable), they are still harmful to our lungs. So how do you get rid of the danger that mold presents? You have to completely remove it from your home. The best way to take care of this is to call a mold inspector to identify the source and then call a mold removal company to completely remove the mold in a contained environment to ensure that the spores do not spread further in the home.

3)     Spraying Bleach on Mold is Not a Good Idea

As most of us are taught at a young age, bleach is a cure all. Bleach can clean up anything and is supposed to kill off just about any unwanted disease or bacteria. In the case of mold however, it can do more harm than good on porous surfaces.  Why? Well, not only are you only just killing the mold off by spraying bleach on it, which we have already discussed still presents an issue, but you have disturbed the mold so the spores can move around the home more freely. Additionally, using bleach on porous surfaces leaves them nitrogen rich which is an ideal environment for microbial growth.

Mold is definitely something that we do not want in our homes or really even in our lives more than it has to be. Knowing a little bit more about it will help you better approach a mold situation with more rationality, and can also assist you in making decisions in regards to how to take care of it the right way. If you have questions or want to learn more about mold, contact a mold inspector. He or she should be happy to answer any questions that you may have.