No one plans on having a flood impact their home. Whether it’s because of a plumbing issue or the result of Mother Nature, the damage a homeowner absorbs from a flood is usually unexpected. However, knowing what to do when a flood happens will determine the severity of the financial damage.
Before thinking of taking any steps to prevent mold yourself, consider your safety. Don’t use any electrical devices like fans or water pumps near dampened areas. The first step is to call our experts immediately. Mold can begin to grow on different dampened surfaces in just 48 hours. The sooner we can arrive on the scene, the more likely our visit will be for mold prevention rather than mold repair.
If you are able to, remove any completely dry items from the flooded area of your home. This will help prevent mold growth on them. If you can get the carpet dry or into a drying state quickly you can thwart the mold damage. Unfortunately, any rugs or carpets that were flooded and stay wet for days will need to be removed. A soaked rug is the perfect location for mold growth, and the damage is most likely too great for repair, so it is best to just discard these materials.
A quick response can eliminate the severity of water damage after a flood.
Rooms that were flooded will often see mold growth along the walls or inside the actual structure or the wall. Either way, detection of mold growth on these surfaces will result in the necessity to remove the drywall.
The sooner you call us, the better the chance to mitigate mold growth. However, if mold growth has already started or existed prior to the flood, our mold repair services begin with the removal of all materials that are contaminated. The next step of the process is then ensuring that the entire building is dry. Replacing materials in an environment that is still damp will just cause a homeowner to go back to square one with mold growth.
Our water extraction methods can vary based on the problem, but dehumidification and air movement are two of the most proven methods of water removal. Removing water completely will usually take two to five days.
It’s important to remember that mold problems can only get worse without detection. Many people will attempt to remove the water in their home themselves and later find out that mold that is invisible to the human eye is still growing. If you notice a musty smell, see mold growth, or even notice that the people in your home are experiencing allergies, give us a call.
Even if you are reading this blog far after the 48-hour period it takes mold to grow, the sooner you can call on our services for mold repair, the better off you will be.